If you’re crossing the border this weekend here’s what you need to know!
We encourage travellers to plan ahead and help facilitate their border crossing by following these tips:
- Plan your border crossing – Check border wait times using the CanBorder App and cross at the least busy port of entry in the area.
- Know your purchases and keep travel documents handy – Know your personal exemptions and restrictions and make sure that each passenger has the correct travel document. Have your travel documents and receipts in hand when you arrive at the border.
- Be sure to declare all purchases or acquisitions when returning to Canada – You can refer to the I Declare publication on the CBSA website for more information.
- Know the contents of your vehicle – Travellers can consult the CBSA’s website for information on firearms, firewood, and fireworks.
- Pre-registration of travel information for private boaters – Boaters can take advantage of the new pre-registration feature by emailing information to the CBSA prior to their trip. It will speed up processing when they call in to report their entry to Canada.
- Not sure? Ask the CBSA officer – The single best thing you can do to save time returning to Canada is to simply be open and honest with the CBSA officer. If you are not sure about what to declare, don’t hesitate to ask. The officers are there to help you.
For more information, visit the CBSA website at www.cbsa.gc.ca or contact the Border Information Service at 1‑800‑461-9999.